Overview

Upon graduating from high school, I went to Purdue University to study aviation and aeronautics primarily to support my desire to see and travel the world with thoughts working for an airline would provide free airfare on my time off. Purdue University's Department of Aviation Technology is widely recognized as a leader in aviation education. This reputation is attributed largely to the quality of our faculty, students, curriculum content, and laboratory equipment. In recognition of the quality of our students’ educational experience, all of Purdue’s Aviation Technology degree programs have been fully accredited by the Aviation Accreditation Board International (AABI). I graduated in the standard for years and with my fresh new bachelor's degree and no experience, thus finding a job was harder than the degree itself.

I first went to work at an FBO as a lead mechanic at Eagle Creek Aviation Services in Indianapolis, Indiana. I enjoyed the life of a mechanic but knew I wanted more with my continuous improvement spirit always looking for ways to do things better and faster. For example, we offered a custom "Super Hush" soundproofing package in the Twin Commander which required for removal of the interior and custom trimming sound deadening material into the hundreds of individual sections within the airframe. I quickly notice that the standard way to install the kit was to go into the aircraft, measure a section, step out and cut the material out of a sheet of material. This process took approximately 3 weeks to complete and once I had this job I wasn't a few days into it when I went to the maintenance supervisor asking for mission to spend the next couple weeks mapping the interior than three cutting kits for a quicker installation. In summary what took three weeks to do prior now only took three days and the material savings netted enough material to do another aircraft after three installations. Still wanting to work for an airline, after year I went to work for American Trans Air in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Knowing a mechanic life was at my future, I went to work in the storeroom for two reasons. First I knew as a mechanic I would be working weekends and second shift for a very long time, second I knew it wasn't in my card to be a mechanic, third I wanted to get my foot in the door of an airlines which was a reason why attended Purdue. I only spent a few months in the storeroom were when I was given a position as a strategic planner in the materials organization. I managed the rotables for the flight systems including positioning of spares at key locations around the world. The work life at a larger company was fun and true to my desire I had the ability to do a lot of traveling on the weekends as ATA was a travel destination airline that supported their ambassador travel club. At the height of their assist us, they were $1 billion airline reaching a fleet of over 50 passenger aircraft. Many weekends included a quick flight to Vegas or heading to New Orleans for a jazz fest, but it was when I got stuck in San Francisco and had to buy tickets back for a meeting I'm had to attend I realize that it also had a downfalls.

After three years of working for ATA, I got a call for my previous supervisor at a Eagle Creek aviation wanted me to fly out to Seattle for a open materials manager position at the manufacturer of the twin Commander aircraft. The company was small with only $12 million revenue yearly, but the position double my salary and gave me a first steps in the leadership. Within two weeks I now lived in the great state of Washington in a position I would test my mental ability. Come to find out the open position was due to numerous reasons but mainly due to a fatal accident was caused by a faulty nose shimmy housing within the landing gear strut. Upon FAA investigation, Twin Commander used extensively in neighboring company for the majority all its manufacturing and lacked of a robust quality system. The FAA findings required removal of this supplier, hiring of a new quality manager, and hundred percent inspection of all incoming materials. The materials manager quit as did the majority of the staff. I was in my mid-20s with image dreamily difficult challenge in front of me. But as all things we prevailed and made it to the very difficult process of rebuilding the supply chain, but I enjoyed the role which speaks to my nature. As I continued my tenure at the company I was put in charge of incorporating Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) into the organization. The implementation went well with the exception of one critical area commonly known as Sales Inventory and Operational Plan (SIOP). The rub was an inflation of the operational plan over the sales plan by more than 50%, and with inventory as my yearly goal, I was focal of driving too much inventory without firm orders. Long story short, I took it personally and then at the end of the day failed to win the argument. Something was time to move on, that's where my were went.

I took a summer off and started a small home operational plan business, but as the months wore on I needed to reengage my career. Soon after 9/11 came in the aerospace industry was put on hold and I decided to test my entrepreneur spirit by going into a brick-and-mortar business supporting what I had developed as a home-based business. This was another journey but I built from scratch a industry I knew nothing about into a small customer focused retail in which we won “Best of the Year” honors in her second year. I wanted to franchise what I had built and started seeking a silent partner and by chance found one quickly whom possessed franchise experience I owning a large northwest restaurant chain. When we moved from wounds a small 1500 square-foot community-based store to a 6600 multi-service business. Too many factors but primarily due to the loss of that community feel, our revenue grew well but so did our cost. After six years and a lot of learning experience, I decided to move back into my career.

I started my search and I found a job as a Operational Analyst with Crane Aerospace & Electronics whom designs, manufactures and supports critical aircraft systems and components, offering solutions for sensing and utilities, landing systems, fluid management, and cabin system. Virtually all commercial and military aircraft fly with products manufactured by the Crane Aerospace Group. The Electronics side of the business designs and manufactures high-density, high-reliability electronics for aerospace, space, military, medical, industrial and commercial applications. From Mars Rovers to to fighter jets, the Electronics Group products operate in the most demanding environments in power, microelectronics, and microwave systems solutions.

With a year, I become the the Supply Chain Manager position were I now sit. Our organization is heavily involved in lean manufacturing and drive a very focused business system across the organization. With a long way to go to achieve breakthrough performance we are well on our way decentralizing the entire team and moving into a full on bond environment and full system not only across our side, what with our supply base as well. 2000 and revolves all around driving lean manufacturing with topics tools, developing crisper communication skills, stronger negotiation skills, and building a highly engaged a player team.